Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Successful game day!

"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." 
-Michael Jordan




So today I coached my very first softball game with minor help from my mentor Jason. I was really nervous but the kids are awesome and listened to everything I had to say plus asked questions on anything they needed clarification on and even gave me suggestions on the position's of players that could be changed. The respect level the kids have not only for me but in general makes them very coachable which made my first time really fun! The game took place at Lassalette Middle School at 3 but I went to go buy gatorade and waters for the kids to drink because apparently they don't bring water and being hydrated during a game is very important. I met them at the school around 1:50 and helped them warm up with catching and throwing.
One thing I noticed during the game was that the kids need to practice on their running. Most of them could have been saved at first base but they ran really slow and those 14 home runs could have easily been 20 if they RAN. I told my mentor if I could run practice on tuesday of next week (4/15/14) because I wanted to do drills that help improve running speed as well as create better endurance. Hopefully the kids don't hate me because I know it's been really hot lately but a little sweat never killed anyone!
Our next away game will be this Monday (4/14/14) at Sparks Middle School and I won't be coaching but I will be assisting and we're told this school has experienced players but as long as the kids keep doing what they've been learning at practice, they can win ANY team.

No comments:

Post a Comment