Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Blog 11: Mentorship 10 Hours

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead even more than teamwork."

Content:
1.   Where are you doing your mentorship?
La Puente High School with the varsity softball team.

2.   Who is your contact?
Jennifer Dorado


3.   How many total hours have you done (total hours should be reflected in your mentorship log located on the right hand side of your blog like your WB)?
15 hours

4.   Summarize the 10 hours of service you did.

Considering the fact that my topic is Coaching a Softball Team (high school) and softball season has not started my mentor Jennifer gave me the great idea to pick a girl from her varsity team that is in a travel ball team to help me with my mentoring hours and the only girl that lives near me that's in a travel team is a senior by the name of Karissa Martinez. Which works out perfectly since she's also my best friend.

For my mentoring hours I attended a tournament with Karissa's travel ball team, Storm USA called City of Lights Showcase in October 26-28. This tournament took place in Las Vegas and every game day lasted about 5 hours or more. Karissa needed to arrive around 7AM to the fields to go warm up with her team and Day 1 of the tournament was when I met Coach Diego in person. While the girls were warming up, Diego talked to me about what was going to occur in the 3 days of tournament and what I was able to do for him/with him to help me for my hours.

Tournament: Consists of three days and each day has 5 games with an additional individual camp. "An individual camp is basically where the girls play with other girls from other teams to help the coaches see how each player on their team plays under unfamiliar circumstances," said coach Diego. There are only 3 individual games per day that are 45 minutes each.


5.   Email your house teacher the name of your contact and their phone number confirming who they should call to verify it.  

Done

*You need 50 hours plus the original 10 in the summer by May. The original 10 from the summer do not count toward the 50.  By the end of the year, you will have 60 hours counting that original 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment