Saturday, August 31, 2013

I didn't know that!

On Monday, August 26, I was looking for some research and I came across something I found really interesting which was the average salary of a high school coach in the United States. Now before I say more, I must admit I thought that if you were a teacher AND a coach at a high school you would earn more money because well, you are doing more than the other teachers. According to http://www.ehow.com, there are "better earnings for coaches, especially when schools hire full-time coaches on a salary rather than simply paying a teacher an extra stipend to handle coaching duties." With that being said, I found it really interesting to find out that I was wrong but not completely! (Not that I  mind being wrong because I don't at all.) Of course when it comes to jobs, location is always a top 3 factor to consider, correct? Well same for softball coaches. School districts that are wealthier tend to have a bigger budget that's put towards their athletic programs which means the coaches have better earnings. Not only does location matter for the income of a softball coach but the more experience you are the more money you earn. Let's say we have a history teacher who used to coach a softball team but stopped coaching to teach if the school were to hire him/her to coach the softball team, THEN the history teacher/ coach would receive more money than the other teachers with location not being a factor because the teacher has experience. (That's what I mean by not completely wrong.)


According to the U.S. Department of Labor, coaches with:
  • Low-End Salary earn less than $15,000.
  • According to a 2010 article written by Eric Sondheimer for the Los Angeles Times, High-End Salary (experienced head coaches) in countries where the most competitive high school leagues are can usually make a little bit over $100,000 per year.
  • Average Salary: 50% of high school coaches can earn between $18,220 - $43,440 per year in 2008 and these same statistics mean that "the median annual wages in 2008 for full-time coaches in secondary schools was around $22,000."

No comments:

Post a Comment